International Paper announces the appointment of Santiago Arbelaez as the Chairman of the Paper and Packaging Board (P+PB) Board of Directors. This leadership appointment was made by USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack and marks a pivotal moment for the organization.
As the Chairman, Arbelaez will collaborate closely with the P+PB leadership team and the eight-member Board of Directors responsible for funding the Paper & Packaging – How Life Unfolds® campaign. The campaign is a national promotion program centered around sustainability within the paper and packaging sectors.
In addition to this appointment, Arbelaez will continue serving as the Vice President of Strategy for International Paper’s Industrial Packaging business, bringing a wealth of experience and strategic insight to his role as Chairman of the P+PB Board.
“Under Mary Anne Hansen’s leadership, the Paper and Packaging Board has succeeded in effectively telling our industry’s sustainability story across multiple segments. We look forward to further sharpening the uniqueness of our industry’s sustainability story while collaborating widely with other industry partners to drive greater awareness and reinforce the value and benefits of the Board,” said Arbelaez.
The appointed officers and board members for 2024 include:
• Vice-Chair: Alpa Sutaria, Senior Vice President of Strategy and Sustainability, WestRock
• Secretary/Treasurer: Richard Bennett, Vice President of Paperboard Sales and Marketing, Pactiv Evergreen
• An Boon, Vice President of Global Marketing, Graphic Packaging International
• Beth Cormier, Vice President of Research, Development and Sustainability, Sappi
• Steve Henry, CEO, Domtar
• Tonie Meyers, Senior Vice President of Paperboard and Sheeting Operations, Billerud
• Juan Pablo Perez Chavez, CEO for North America, Smurfit Kappa